Saturday, September 26, 2026

Stopping My Blood Donation

 


I am a O+ blood donor and I enjoy donating blood. However, it has come to my attention that due to my bipolar condition, there is a conflict between the prescription Sodium Valproate that I am taking, with the regulations of the Blood Bank in collecting donors' blood. Valproate is a known medication that can cause birth defects if my donated blood is given to a pregnant woman, so, in order to protect the interests of the blood receipients, I have to stop donating blood immediately. My psychiatrist has indicated that I have to continue taking valproate to keep my bipolar condition under control, so this requirement is non-negotiable.

In the past I didn't know, so I unwittingly gave blood. But now that I am in the know, I intend to follow the rules and not put myself or other blood receipients at risk. I hope past receipients didn't have too much risks receiving my blood when I was ignorant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Bodhisattva Vows

Since I'm going to be still here on Planet Earth for a while, I'm going to make some vows that matter to me: I vow to support Ksitig...