Saturday, September 19, 2026

Remembering Lee Kuan Yew

 


Mixed feelings when I saw this photograph on a Facebook page. I had taken this photograph in the year 2016 during Vesak Day at Bright Hill Monastery and posted it on the internet in the public domain, but nobody really noticed it until now suddenly as a Facebook page dug it out and did a nice writeup on it. I feel happy to see this photograph being mentioned and credits duly given to my online persona i.e. "Ronggy", but I need to confess that there's something I need to apologise about this photograph because photography is supposed to be prohibited in the Pureland Hall. I didn't know that when I took this photograph, so now that Facebook users have noticed this photograph, I have to express my apologies that I had taken the photograph unknowingly without noticing that "No Photography" sign in the Pureland Hall.

To me, this photograph means a lot because it was taken on the Vesak morning after my mother, aunt and I had completed our Three Steps One Bow at the monastery; I had walked into the Pureland Hall to pay my respects to my maternal ancestors and it surprised me to see Mr Lee Kuan Yew's portrait before Amitabha Buddha. I had believed in Mr LKY, and I had wished that He be reborn in Amitabha Pureland, so when I saw the respectful memorial before my most esteemed Amitabha Buddha, I felt as if I had seen Mr LKY being reborn in Amitabha Pureland. It was a beautiful sight to behold. I took the stalk of chrysanthemum provided by the monastery volunteers, and offered it before His portrait. It felt good.

May Mr LKY and Amitabha Buddha look after my beloved country Singapore and may those who believe in Them find calm and peaceful abiding as well as sublime bliss. It's a huge blessing to be born as a Singaporean Buddhist, I couldn't have asked for a better gift from my parents. So thank you, I am truly grateful.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Bodhisattva Vows

Since I'm going to be still here on Planet Earth for a while, I'm going to make some vows that matter to me: I vow to support Ksitig...